Font Issues in Chrome on Mac
Author of Velocity: The Basics: Scripting with a $ here and a # to do, Web Developer and former Computing Support Analyst and Licensed Professional Counselor
August 16, 2019
True story. I was using Chrome on a Mac recently and noticed some strange issues. The letter x is quotes (") 9 is dash (‐) and y doesn't even show up in the Chrome browser on on Mac. Yet, if I copied and pasted in a text editor or looked at the source code, the x, 9 and y characters present were fine. I was vexed but I tinkered. And there's a fix for that.
First the letters issue (x and y):
- In Chrome, click the vertical triple dots and go to settings.
- Go to Custom Fonts.
- Select Times New Roman for the Standard font.
- Select Times New Roman for the Serif font.
And now for the dash as 9 issue:
- Open the Font Book app.
- Find Helvetica.
- Control-click (right-click) and select Resolve Duplicates.
- Select Resolve Automatically.
That's it! Now instead of reading everthing ou fi" our ees on from ‐-5, you can enjoy reading everything you fix your eyes on from 9-5.